So, a few months ago, I decided that enough was enough. I have GOT to quit smoking. I remember how easy it was the last time. And you wanna know what? It was even EASIER this time. Here's how I did it:
- Make up your mind in advance. I've done it approx 2 months in advance. That way you have time to ruminate on it. Plan for it. Smoke your heart out (hahaha, pun intended).
- Set a date and stick to it. I picked 1/1/11.
- Smoke every cigarette you have the night before or throw them away when you go to bed.
- Also? smoke a SHITLOAD that night before.
- On the day you quit, for me anyway, it helps to not leave the house. :)
- Distract yourself. Don't think about it. Don't dwell on it. Do something else (but don't make that something be snacking or eating).
- Avoid temptation. Not forever, but at least for a few weeks.
- If you MUST snack (it's an oral fixation after all), stock up on carrots and celery. I know, they suck but still. Better than smoking or eating cookies.
Interestingly enough the last time I did it, I did go through all the withdrawals - the grumps, extreme irritableness, boredom and restlessness were the most severe symptoms. And when I say severe, I really mean it - I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND WITH NOTHING TO DO BECAUSE I USED TO FILL ALL THIS TIME WITH SMOKING. AND I WAS IRRITABLE!
This time, I was irritable and bored, but it seemed to be much less severe and it lasted a shorter amount of time (like a week vs. a month last time!) Again - distraction works MIRACLES.
Anyway, I want to make a list of the great things about not smoking. This is mostly a reminder to myself, you know, in case I'm tempted to start smoking again!!
Here are all the great things about NOT smoking:
- So much more time! Think of all the time I've wasted going downstairs to have a smoke, smoking, coming back upstairs (at work).
- Saving money! it's been 13 days and I've already saved $60!
- I don't stink any more!!! Yay!
- I haven't noticed this yet but I remember from last time - I went from teeth cleanings every 4 months to just every 6 months! :-) (ALSO saving time and money!)
- Within 2-3 days of quitting - I no longer have to clear my throat or cough all the time. It's awesome!!!
- I do feel better